Welcome

Welcome to Heartsprings, where I share what springs forth from my heart for God and His people. I pray that what you find here blesses you and draws you nearer to your Heavenly Father who loves you like no other.

In His love,
Brenda :-)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Devotional Motivation

Why do we call it a "devotional"? Is it because we are devoting some time to reading God's Word and possibly praying as well? Are we showing our devotion to God by sacrificing some of our ever-dwindling time for the pursuit of Him? I ask myself these questions because I question my motivation for sitting in my bedroom chair almost every morning; Bible, prayer journal, and coffee in hand. My goal is to pray through my prayer list, read from today's reading plan, and gain some insight as to the purpose for my life and the person who created me for that purpose.

It struck me this morning that my devotion time seems more about me than devotion to God. Am I sitting here because I am devoted to knowing and loving Him more? Is He really all I want, or am I more after what He can do for me? The truth is I need Him to do a lot for me because there's a lot I want to accomplish that I know I can't in my own power. Therein lies part of the problem, I think. If I were to truly serve God, wouldn't it be His agenda I would be seeking? I think I should be asking Him what I can do to accomplish His purposes for me rather than asking Him to help me accomplish MY plans.

Heavenly Father, forgive me my selfish ambitions and presumptuousness. Search my heart, O' God, and cleanse me of all unrighteousness. Create in me a clean heart and bless me with a desire for Your plans and purposes, every day. May MY to-do list become YOUR to-do list. Use my "devotional" time to increase my devotion to You. In the awesome name of Jesus I ask it, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment