Welcome

Welcome to Heartsprings, where I share what springs forth from my heart for God and His people. I pray that what you find here blesses you and draws you nearer to your Heavenly Father who loves you like no other.

In His love,
Brenda :-)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dangerous Independence??

"The biggest threat to marriage is independence. That's what destroys marriages." I read this in my devotion this morning and was awed. I never would have thought that, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I related it to my own marriage and realized how a lot of frustration comes when my husband and I are not on the same page because we are both adamant about doing things our own way. Or, when one of us makes plans without consulting the other. Doing things without considering the effect our actions will have on our partner can cause division in our marriage. It leads to a sort of mistrust and trust is imperative to a successful marriage.

God meant for husband and wife to be "one flesh", functioning as one, in harmony and agreement. Granted, that's not always possible in our fallen state, but for me, it means I should be a little more conscious and considerate of my spouse when I'm considering a course of action. Especially when it's one that will most definitely affect him. I should probably communicate more with him about my hopes, dreams, and goals. If I want to go somewhere and plan to take him with me,he should probably be made aware of the trip. Even that, however is functioning in independence. We need to decide together where we want to go and how were going to get there. I think THAT is a better example of operating as one, flowing in harmony and agreement. It's a step in the right direction anyway and every journey begins with a step, right? Protect your marriage by taking as many steps as possible, together and in unity. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment